A Horse is a Horse of Course...

A horse really is a horse, but he can also be a very loyal friend.  We just had a loyal friend pass a way this week.
My mom's horse Zane recently got sick.  After tests, medications and multiple vet visits it finally got the better of him.  He was fighting it with all he had and there were a couple days that looked as though he was going to pull through, but he body could not handle whatever infection or blockage he may have had.  Zane was a healthy 20 year old.  In horse years he was mature, but horses can live well into their 30's. 

My mom and dad bought Zane when they were still married.  I remember them bringing him home late at night with my dad's cousin Dale and his wife Tina who had also bought a horse that day.  Zane was 2 years old at the time and unbelievably frisky.  I thought to myself I am NOT getting on that horse! He was young and had little training.  My mom had bought him for her. 

After my spending some time riding and working with him he was finally "broken" (in horse terms means able to be ridden by most anybody).  And he really did turn into the most lovable horse that we have owned.  Zane was like a big dog.  If you walked into the pasture he would walk right up to you and want you to pet him.  He would nibble your fingers and sometimes he was almost to the point of being a nuisance if you were trying to get something done or work with one of the other horses.

Zane was great with the kids too.  They could and have walked around him freely.  Brayden many times would walk into the pasture with my mom or John and was completely comfortable being near such a large animal.  He loved when the kids would come to the fence with carrots too. :)

Here are a couple photos of Zane.
My mom is on Zane in the front right-hand side.
 Haha! These are some oldies, but goodies and I love Quincy peeing!!

 Brayden, my mom and Zane.
 The good ole' posse picture pre-kiddo times.
 This is a good one.


Zane was loved so much and will be missed dearly.  He was a horse, but also a part of our family.  I am glad he is not suffering anymore though and I am sure he is in some Heavenly green pastures now. 

Comments

Jenn said…
So sorry to hear about Zane. I hope he has found an endless alfalfa field in horse heaven! That was a fun day when we all rode the horses, the peeing was awesome!
JuliAnna said…
I LOVE that last pic of you, your mom, and Zane! He was such a handsome horse - he will be missed!!!
Dad said…
We are so sorry about Zane. What a beautiful horse. Love all the pics too.
Carol and Brian
cherie.kraus said…
Love the pics - you can see how noble Zane was. We had a special connection and I will miss him forever. Gone too soon for sure.

Popular posts from this blog

Art Project

Peacock Lane

Comparison