The Night the First ER trip came...
Let me just begin by saying that everyone is OK. No major injuries occurred thankfully.
I knew a day would come where I would have to take one of the kids to the ER for some accident that happened. Now Brad and Brock had to go to the ER when they had the car accident, but this was not our fault and I don't count it as us needing to take them to the ER. I mean with 2 active boys, common it is bound to happen, right!?!
Well, yes here we go. On Tuesday night ( a day that was already clearly working against me and had me completely emotionally exhausted from all the activities) I headed off to an Auction Meeting at the kid's school. It started at 7pm. At 7:05 my cell phone rings (vibrates) two times in a row. I answer it and walk out of the room to take the call from Brad. I hear yelling in the background (not uncommon) and then Brad begins. "Brock jabbed Brayden in the eye with a pointer and he is bleeding out of his eye! I don't know what to do." I immediately think What!? Really!? He stated that it was really bad and he wasn't sure what to do. After just a couple minutes of talking he hung up. I went back to the meeting thinking OK now what do I do. A few minutes later he calls back and says that he needs me to come home, Brayden is crying for me.
After frantically leaving the meeting and driving home, I arrive to find Brayden and Brad in the bathroom, Brad is holding a wet cotton swab to Brayden's eye and has gotten the bleeding stopped. I look over the damage and see several cuts in the outside layer of his eye. They are in the far corner, not by the pupil, but there is a small piece laying in there as well and you can see blood underneath. My words are "Well let's go to the ER."
I quickly changed Brayden into some warmer clothes, grabbed his blanket and headed out. Brad stayed home to put Brock and Brylee to bed. In the car, a little panic set in. I asked Brayden if he could see OK, if it hurt real bad, could he feel anything. He calmly replied to all my questions. Thankfully, the hospital is only about 6-7 minutes away. We walked in and were taken care of right away. They checked us in, took Brayden's vitals and ushered us back to a room within 10 minutes! The doctor stopped by to say we were his next patient and he would be over in 5-10 minutes. Great! I hadn't even finished all my "update" phone calls in the amount of time it took to have them come to our room. The doctor checked him out and said that his pupil looked good. His vision was not affected, and that it is a Scleral Abrasion, meaning the outside layer of the eye was cut. He said that it would heal on its own in the next couple weeks. He prescribed some eye drops to help with the pain, redness and discomfort. We were done!
We picked up Brayden's prescription and were back home about an hour later. All things considered, I don't think I could have hoped for a better ER visit.
So here are a couple pictures help fill in your imagination as to what happened.
Here is the "culprit":
I knew a day would come where I would have to take one of the kids to the ER for some accident that happened. Now Brad and Brock had to go to the ER when they had the car accident, but this was not our fault and I don't count it as us needing to take them to the ER. I mean with 2 active boys, common it is bound to happen, right!?!
Well, yes here we go. On Tuesday night ( a day that was already clearly working against me and had me completely emotionally exhausted from all the activities) I headed off to an Auction Meeting at the kid's school. It started at 7pm. At 7:05 my cell phone rings (vibrates) two times in a row. I answer it and walk out of the room to take the call from Brad. I hear yelling in the background (not uncommon) and then Brad begins. "Brock jabbed Brayden in the eye with a pointer and he is bleeding out of his eye! I don't know what to do." I immediately think What!? Really!? He stated that it was really bad and he wasn't sure what to do. After just a couple minutes of talking he hung up. I went back to the meeting thinking OK now what do I do. A few minutes later he calls back and says that he needs me to come home, Brayden is crying for me.
After frantically leaving the meeting and driving home, I arrive to find Brayden and Brad in the bathroom, Brad is holding a wet cotton swab to Brayden's eye and has gotten the bleeding stopped. I look over the damage and see several cuts in the outside layer of his eye. They are in the far corner, not by the pupil, but there is a small piece laying in there as well and you can see blood underneath. My words are "Well let's go to the ER."
I quickly changed Brayden into some warmer clothes, grabbed his blanket and headed out. Brad stayed home to put Brock and Brylee to bed. In the car, a little panic set in. I asked Brayden if he could see OK, if it hurt real bad, could he feel anything. He calmly replied to all my questions. Thankfully, the hospital is only about 6-7 minutes away. We walked in and were taken care of right away. They checked us in, took Brayden's vitals and ushered us back to a room within 10 minutes! The doctor stopped by to say we were his next patient and he would be over in 5-10 minutes. Great! I hadn't even finished all my "update" phone calls in the amount of time it took to have them come to our room. The doctor checked him out and said that his pupil looked good. His vision was not affected, and that it is a Scleral Abrasion, meaning the outside layer of the eye was cut. He said that it would heal on its own in the next couple weeks. He prescribed some eye drops to help with the pain, redness and discomfort. We were done!
We picked up Brayden's prescription and were back home about an hour later. All things considered, I don't think I could have hoped for a better ER visit.
So here are a couple pictures help fill in your imagination as to what happened.
Here is the "culprit":
And here are the damages (look away if you don't like blood):
Brayden was such a trooper! He even insisted on going to school the next day. Though he did come home Wednesday saying his ear was really hurting. Yep, ear not eye. So off to the doctor we went Thursday to discover that he has Double Ear Infections and a cough that is a little wheezy and needs treatment. Poor guy, 4 medicines now, but he is still smiling!
Comments
I was so upset that day, I sprayed "Dow scrubbing Bubbles" on my hair, thinking it was hairspray.
Grandma Carol and Grandpa Brian