Sick of the Sickness
I have to say I am soooo over my kids being sick! SERIOUSLY!!! Can we all just be healthy for more than a week at a time!?!
This afternoon we made, yet another trip to the pediatrician for Brayden and Brylee to be seen. Brayden came home with a cough on Tuesday of last week. That turned into a fever of 102 overnight, then vomit on Thursday with the fever, and by Friday things seemed to be looking better. I was crossing all my fingers and toes that Brock and Brylee would not get it and on Friday I did not see anything that would show they were developing this illness this time. Wrong. Way wrong.
Brylee had coughing too, but she had been coughing since her last round of illness (2 weeks ago) when she had RSV. Her cough never fully went away. So here we are 2 weeks later and she develops a fever Saturday when I get home from work. I give her Tylenol and begin thinking, well here we go. I gave her lots of juice and finally broke down and gave her a bottle of milk as she was getting really tired and cranky. This proved to be a bad idea on my part as the bottle stayed down for all of 3 minutes before coming back up all over me and her. After settling her down and getting her cleaned up, I rocked her to sleep and layed her in her bed. Brylee slept for about 30 minutes before she started fussing. I let her fuss some because I knew she needed a longer nap. She did quiet down and about 5-10 minutes later she started moaning/crying again. I went up to get her and she was NOT herself. She had her eyes upward, would not look at me when I said her name. She kept her head kinked back and did not move her arms or legs. I immediately felt in my gut that she was not OK. I brought her downstairs to Brad and he started to look at her. She tracked his voice a couple times, but not consistently. I was freaked! I called to after hours number for our doctor's office. The on-call doctor called right back. She said that she did not know why she was acting this way, but we should watch her for another 30 minutes and if she did not improve to take her to the ER, that it could be Meningitis. OH MY GOD!!! What is happening!?! 30 minutes seemed like an eternity. We laid her on the bed and kept talking to her. Brad did a good job of keeping me calmed down. He kept saying he found it hard to believe that it could be anything other than what Brayden had. He thought it was just affecting her small body differently.
After a little while Brylee started tracking more, moving her arms, then legs. She slowly would sit on her own, but preferred to be held. We did not take her to the ER. By the end of the night she did walk some and drank some more juice and was kind of back to her normal self (at least the sick version). Saturday night was rough and Sunday was more of the same with a fever and bad cough. Sunday night was even worse for her and I. I think I got a total of 4 hours sleep in between all 3 of the kids waking me up at different times in the night (at least once an hour). First thing this morning I called to get them in to see the doctor. Brayden had developed a Migraine on Saturday night that lasted thru Sunday and this morning. He also started stating his left ear hurt.
Brylee got checked out first and yes, still wheezing, fluid in her lungs. Her temp has gone down now. The doc ordered a chest xray to see if there was something else going on since she had just had this a couple weeks ago.
Brayden double ear infections. Bad ones.
Brock did not get checked out, though he has started coughing yesterday and today. His seems more like a cold now, but hey we will probably end up back at the doctors office in another few days at the rate this is going.
So after waiting several hours, going to the pharmacy, coming back for the xray, waiting for the results, and then FINALLY taking them back to the doc to review. She does not have pneumonia, but there is fluid in her lungs. Still viral. Nebulizer treatments again and hope we get it this time.
AHHHHHHH! I want summer here now. I am done taking care of sick children this season. We are way beyond our quota of sickness this year! I wish I could put them in a bubble, but no such luck. I love them even with their snotty noses. I just had to say GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRR to all this sickness, and the next time I see you you better watch your back cause this momma has a bone to pick with you!
This afternoon we made, yet another trip to the pediatrician for Brayden and Brylee to be seen. Brayden came home with a cough on Tuesday of last week. That turned into a fever of 102 overnight, then vomit on Thursday with the fever, and by Friday things seemed to be looking better. I was crossing all my fingers and toes that Brock and Brylee would not get it and on Friday I did not see anything that would show they were developing this illness this time. Wrong. Way wrong.
Brylee had coughing too, but she had been coughing since her last round of illness (2 weeks ago) when she had RSV. Her cough never fully went away. So here we are 2 weeks later and she develops a fever Saturday when I get home from work. I give her Tylenol and begin thinking, well here we go. I gave her lots of juice and finally broke down and gave her a bottle of milk as she was getting really tired and cranky. This proved to be a bad idea on my part as the bottle stayed down for all of 3 minutes before coming back up all over me and her. After settling her down and getting her cleaned up, I rocked her to sleep and layed her in her bed. Brylee slept for about 30 minutes before she started fussing. I let her fuss some because I knew she needed a longer nap. She did quiet down and about 5-10 minutes later she started moaning/crying again. I went up to get her and she was NOT herself. She had her eyes upward, would not look at me when I said her name. She kept her head kinked back and did not move her arms or legs. I immediately felt in my gut that she was not OK. I brought her downstairs to Brad and he started to look at her. She tracked his voice a couple times, but not consistently. I was freaked! I called to after hours number for our doctor's office. The on-call doctor called right back. She said that she did not know why she was acting this way, but we should watch her for another 30 minutes and if she did not improve to take her to the ER, that it could be Meningitis. OH MY GOD!!! What is happening!?! 30 minutes seemed like an eternity. We laid her on the bed and kept talking to her. Brad did a good job of keeping me calmed down. He kept saying he found it hard to believe that it could be anything other than what Brayden had. He thought it was just affecting her small body differently.
After a little while Brylee started tracking more, moving her arms, then legs. She slowly would sit on her own, but preferred to be held. We did not take her to the ER. By the end of the night she did walk some and drank some more juice and was kind of back to her normal self (at least the sick version). Saturday night was rough and Sunday was more of the same with a fever and bad cough. Sunday night was even worse for her and I. I think I got a total of 4 hours sleep in between all 3 of the kids waking me up at different times in the night (at least once an hour). First thing this morning I called to get them in to see the doctor. Brayden had developed a Migraine on Saturday night that lasted thru Sunday and this morning. He also started stating his left ear hurt.
Brylee got checked out first and yes, still wheezing, fluid in her lungs. Her temp has gone down now. The doc ordered a chest xray to see if there was something else going on since she had just had this a couple weeks ago.
Brayden double ear infections. Bad ones.
Brock did not get checked out, though he has started coughing yesterday and today. His seems more like a cold now, but hey we will probably end up back at the doctors office in another few days at the rate this is going.
So after waiting several hours, going to the pharmacy, coming back for the xray, waiting for the results, and then FINALLY taking them back to the doc to review. She does not have pneumonia, but there is fluid in her lungs. Still viral. Nebulizer treatments again and hope we get it this time.
AHHHHHHH! I want summer here now. I am done taking care of sick children this season. We are way beyond our quota of sickness this year! I wish I could put them in a bubble, but no such luck. I love them even with their snotty noses. I just had to say GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRR to all this sickness, and the next time I see you you better watch your back cause this momma has a bone to pick with you!
Comments
NC Grandma